The Intan (meaning 'rose-cut diamond' in Malay) enlightens its guests about the multi-facetted aspects of Peranakan culture through a kaleidoscope of rare historical artefacts, intriguing personal stories, and authentic dining experiences.
Come join me for a personalised tour and authentic Peranakan tea session prepared by my mother, in the heart of Joo Chiat, a traditional Peranakan enclave and Singapore’s first heritage town (2011). My house is a post-war terraced residence previously owned by another Peranakan family.
What You Will Do
Your experience at The Intan includes:
- A brief understanding of the history and culture of the Peranakans. In particular, we will focus on the Chinese, local and European influence on this unique culture that existed just over the last century
- Learning about the traditional and lavish Peranakan wedding ceremony which lasted for 12 days
- Appreciating the colorful and intricate beadwork and embroidery handmade by the Nyonya ladies
- Your visit will end with an assortment of authentic nyonya kueh kueh specially put together for the occasion. Some of the dishes will even come from my mum's secret recipes!
Photography is most welcome on the lower level of the house.
Visit to The Intan is strictly by appointment. To make a booking, please furnish us your date, time and no. of people. We will revert with more details upon receipt of your booking details.
Why We Do This
The Intan, founded in 2003, was borne out of my passion for the Peranakan culture. We want to make heritage relevant, and to show the public that we can live with the past in contemporary Singapore.
The Intan doubles up as a unique event space, having hosted a variety of activities that included jewellery exhibitions, art shows and violin recitals. In 2011, The Intan was the Winner of Museum Roundtable Awards Best Overall Experience.
* Private tour around the heritage home-museum
* Authentic nyonya kueh kueh and tea
* Please also note that the price per person is SGD 45 per person. (Using 05 August foreign exchange rates, that's approximately USD 36 per person)
* Visit to The Intan is strictly by appointment. To make a booking, please furnish us your date, time and no. of people. We will revert with more details upon receipt of your booking details
* If you are interested to have a tea tour at The Intan but are unable to book due to less than 6 persons, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 6440 1148