How do you satisfy someone who is a history buff and foodie? With a combination of relics from the Vietnam War and a hands-on Vietnamese cooking session, of course. Spend two days experiencing life and interacting with locals in the rural areas of Cu Chi province. Engage in the passion of cooking by picking your vegetables and herbs fresh, visiting local farms, and then whipping it all together into a meal. Embrace the full range of what Cu Chi has to offer!
What You Will Do
• Behold the Cu Chi tunnels, a big part of Vietnamese history.
• Begin learning about Vietnamese cuisine. First, we visit Rice Papers Villages to see how a staple Vietnamese food is made! Practise mincing the rice as you understand how to make rice paper.
• Next, we drop by the Rubber Tree forest. We'll learn how to grow a rubber tree, and how to make latex from it.
• Marvel at a bonsai garden, and see how cows are milked at a farm. Test your patience while fishing.
• Be impressed by the range of products while shopping, and make traditional Vietnamese cake. Spend the night at a unique guesthouse with a lively garden.
• Understand how to use herbs for cooking and medicine at a Vietnamese medicine garden. Partake in a demonstration on how to make the mushrooms from 7 different kinds of mushrooms. You will then pick a lot of herbs, vegetables, mushrooms and fruits in the garden to use for cooking.
• Whip up three dishes by yourself by following my instructions. Complement these dishes with surprise desserts. Let me share with you my ideas on appreciating foods and eating healthily.
Why We Do This
I am Tan, chef, biologist, pharmacist and accountant. I learned medicine in university. After that, I decided to go in Melbourne to study Accounting to open my own medicine company. Whilst there, I worked part-time as a kitchen hand, where I discovered my passion for food. Armed with my newfound passion, I financed a cooking course by working as a butcher in Victoria market. Based on an encounter with a customer who loved Vietnamese food, the idea struck me to combine all my skills regarding food, medicine, butcher and biologist to open a cooking experience where I share my passion of food with my guests.
I grow a beautiful organic garden with vegetables, herbs, mushrooms, animals, seafood and fruits. I love everything but the main thing is healthy food. I want to make my cooking sessions become the first of cooking classes in the world to satisfy all the demands of the people who love healthy food.
*1 night accommodation
* 1 cooking lesson
* 2 lunches
* Dinner activities
* 2 days transportation
* Entrance fees
* We will pick you up from the airport or from the hotel on morning of Day 1, and we'll finish on 4.00pm Day 2 at your Hotel
* Bring along some mosquito repellent for use in the farm visits.