Bangkok has embraced the 21st century with gusto. Huge skyscrapers now cut unusual shapes into its horizon; BTS skytrain and MRT metro lines zigzag across its vast sprawl; cars clog many of its narrow streets. Yet Bangkok remains a city teaming with fascinating juxtapositions of old and new, traditional and contemporary. On our evening walk together, you'll discover some of the charming neighborhoods which have miraculously escaped the dramatic changes wrought on the other parts of the capital over the past half century.
What You Will Do
• Kick off the adventure with a boat on Chao Phraya River as our primary mode of transportation.
• Visit a 24-hour wholesale flower market bustling as it has ever since the Chinese community began trading along the riverbanks in the late 1700's.
• Appreciate the food in decades-old streetside restaurants run by the younger generations of the original owners.
• Explore temple grounds normally teeming with tourists and Buddhist monks by day, yet blissfully peaceful and quiet by night.
• Observe the neighborhoods of narrow streets lined with modest dwellings and small stores where the pace of daily life feels untouched by the chaotic hubbub of the city.
- River transportation fee
- Drinks (soft or beer) and water
- Two Thai dishes
Starting time: 5PM
Finishing Time: 9PM
What should you wear: Comfortable walking shoes, light summer wear, umbrella