It’s intriguing to see how human existence can be interconnected with nature and the spirit. We know so much about the world around us, but what about what resides within us? Connect the two with this magnificent experience. Dress up as a Balinese, make offerings at two local temples and understand the mystical customs of the local villagers.
What You Will Do
• Be picked up from your hotel in Ubud at 3pm. Appreciate Ukur Ukuran, an ancient 6th century Hindu temple and a stone meditation chamber after a scenic drive.
• Start trekking from the nearby Umadawa village where you spot local villagers washing in the river, and feeding their pigs and cows.
• Learn about the Subak irrigation system. Sabuk is now a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. If the timing is right, you can try harvesting or planting in the rice fields!
• Savour homemade Indonesian dishes made by my beautiful wife Putri after we head to my house. Learn how to make the offerings at the temple. Putri will assist you to put on ceremony clothing for your temple visit.
• Dressed as a Balinese, pay your respects at the Tirta Empul temple or Holy Springs Temple located in Tampaksiring, where each family in Bali goes for cleansing and gathering the Holy water. If there is a ceremony or dance in our village, you have the choice to visit that instead and meet my extended family.
Why We Do This
I’m very proud of the unique Balinese culture and would like to share it with people from around the world. Everyday life of the Balinese community and spiritual belief is linked with each other in a union we call Hindu Dharma. This union helps to protect the people because we believe in no killing, no cruelty and no jealousy. We call this way of life, Karma.
- UBUD Hotel pick-up by car or motorbike / return by car
- Meal at my home
- Use of sarong for temple ceremony
Pick-up from hotels in other locations more than 40 minutes from UBUD will be subject to a $25 additional transportation fee. Thank you for your understanding. Return time will also vary depending on distance from UBUD.
- Children under 6 FREE.
- Pick up at your accommodation at 3pm & return in the evening.
- Bring a clean long or short sleeve shirt for the temple. No sleeveless shirts please.
- Bring a refillable water bottle.
- Transportation options available, to/from other areas, $25 to $45 depending on distance for car up to 6 people. Please ask me after placing your booking.
Please book 7 days or more in advance especially in peak tourist months from July-September and Dec. 15 - Jan 15.